Thursday 6 October 2011

FOs: Bump in the Night Swap monsters!

Oh I can't believe I forgot to post pics of the monsters I made and sent off to my swap partner for the Dangercrafts group's Bump in the Night swap!

I came up with an idea for a monster in a costume and improvised my way from there! I used the Angus the Attic Monster pattern from Rebecca's Big Book of Knitted Monsters and his body shape worked very well with my plan for a pumpkin costume. I used Malabrigo Rios, a superwash wool for this project and wow, it is the softest yarn ever! I loved knitting with it. I also used up the leftovers to make a few "Pumpkin Chunks" by fiddling a bit with the Monster Chunks pattern (free pattern on Ravelry or her website) too. I'll leave my notes at the end of this post on the Chunks. I may write up my pattern for his costume too later. Maybe I'll work on an Xmas themed costume too! who knows!

I also sent her some pretty post its, tea, sour patch kid and warhead candies, chocolate eyeballs and pumpkins, a pumpkin candle, Halloween and monster stickers, Halloween pencils and some mini yarn skeins for her Beekeeper Quilt.

Now, onto the pics!









Monster Chunk modifications were as follows:

She writes it to start with 36 stitches and knit to the top then to pick up 36 stitches from the cast on row and knit down to the bottom. I just did it all in one piece:
  1. cast on 6 sts, join to work in the round
  2. kfb all sts
  3. (k1, kfb)around (18 sts)
  4. (k2, kfb) around (24 sts)
  5. (k3, kfb) around (30 sts)
  6. (k4, kfb) around (36 sts) Rows 7-22. knit even
  7. (k4, k2tog) around (30 sts) Add some stuffing and your safety eyes now before closing top.
  8. (k3, k2tog) around (24 sts)
  9. (k2, k2tog) around (18 sts)
  10. (k1, k2tog) around 12 sts
  11. (k2tog) around (6 sts) Break yarn and thread through remaining stitches.
Making the stem on top was an afterthought for me so I made a little 5 stitch icord and sewed it on afterwards. If I do them again I will just change to green wool at row 28 and do the icord for a few rows there, THEN break the yarn and pull through.

2 comments:

  1. That is a perfect Autumn project. It looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I had fun making them ... a hard time giving them away but they have a great new home! ♥

    ReplyDelete